Friday, January 23, 2009

Taking Offense?

And they took offense at him.
~ Matthew 13:57
Because the people of his hometown thought they knew him, they took offense to what Jesus was teaching.

Are we today any different? Don't we often believe that we know God so well that we know how He will or will not work? Don't we put our great Almighty Creator in a box of our own making and then get offended because He chooses to work in our lives outside of those constraints we've tried to place on Him?

Lord,
Please show me the areas of my life where I've put you in a box, so that when you do act on my behalf, I'm not offended if you don't do so the way I've imagined. Help me to focus on you so that I hear your voice. I want to ensure I don't fall for the lies of the Enemy, but I also want to make sure I don't pass up something of You because I've made assumptions about how you are working in my life and/or in the world. Reveal to me those "boxes" and help me to put them aside and embrace You and Your ways fully.
~Amen

No comments: