Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Source of our Good Works

Everyone (or at least every "good" Christian) knows the verses Ephesians 2:8-9, but last night as I read through Ephesians 2 it struck me how that is like cutting off a thought midway. While those verses are good, I really think we do an injusticce by leaving out verse 10.

8 For it is by grace you have been samve, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift from God - 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
~Ephesians 2:8-10

I read this and realize not only is my salvation the work of God and not something for me to take pride in - but the good works that I do for God as a result of my salvation are also His doing - "which God prepared in advance for us to do". Therefore, I can't boast of them either because without Him they would be nothing, worthless, non-existent.

No comments: