Friday, August 21, 2009

My "Right" to Retaliate

1 Peter 2:23
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

The above verse written by Peter is talking of Jesus, who was without sin, totally innocent but when he was falsely accused and then crucified, never once retaliated in anyway. Even though he could have called down all the angels of heaven to save him, he did not.

My "innocence" is but ashes next to him, but I often believe I have the right to retaliate against those who have wronged me. Even the wrongs that others have perpetrated against me are but mere inconveniences compared to what Jesus suffered.

According to the world though I do have a right to retaliate. If someone speaks badly of me or takes the wrong tone with me, I have the right in the eyes of the world to complain and point out what they have done. The worse the offense, the more "rights" I have.

But as a follower of Him, I am bound not by the rules of this world. I live in the Kingdom of Heaven, ruled by the mighty Creator of ALL creation, not in the kingdom of the world which is darkness. So if I don't live for this world, why do I choose my "rights" based on this world?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent, excellent post. Really is causing me to think about this and truly place it in my heart. Thank you.