Thursday, June 18, 2009

Answers in Colossians

I'm part of a Christian email distribution group at work which I've found to be very interesting. This group has Christians from all walks of life and the discussions get very 'animated' at times. Recently a post by one member led to discussions regarding how we are to stand for God's Truth, among other Believers and to the rest of the world. I've share before how I constantly wrestle with what it looks like in my life to stand for God's Truth in Grace.

I want to stand for God and His Truth and I know at times that means I will offend others. But I don't want to offend someone needlessly, offend them just to offend them. In fact, I don't want to offend anyone at all. If something I do or say offends someone I want it to be God and His Word that offends them, his Truth piercing their conscience, not my way of presenting that Truth.

Last night as I was reading through Colossians I wrote the following verses in my journal under two headings. I've decide these verses are definitely worth studying closer and asking the Lord to help me properly apply them in my life.

Under the heading "picture of how we are to live and interact as a Body of Christ"

~ Colossians 3:12 - 17
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


Under the heading "How to deal with those who are not Believers"

~ Colossians 4:5-6
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

No comments: