Monday, June 08, 2009

Obedience Through Faith

Through him and for his name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.
~Romans 1:5

We always talk about people "coming to faith" and we speak of how salvation is through faith, not by works. However, true faith and salvation will change us. While we can't do anything to earn salvation, once we have it, it should change us and that change should be evidenced in our lives, it should bear fruit.

We don't change into a perfect person overnight, but we are being transformed from the inside by the Spirit that now lives within us. The change or fruit of our lives that I believe leads to all others is obedience. Obedience to our Lord and Savior, which means totally surrendering and submitting our lives to Him, making Him our sole focus. This does not happen overnight either, but I believe it is the key to true transformation and evidence of true faith.

Paul opens his letter to the Roman church with the above verse. What caught my eye was the end of the sentence - "the obedience that come from faith."

If I am truly a Child of God, a Child of Faith - shouldn't my life be evidence of my obedience to my Lord?

No comments: