Monday, May 01, 2006

Passover - Part 2


It's been awhile since I last wrote about the Feasts of the Lord. We are starting to study the End Times in my simple church on Tuesday nights. This should go along well with the three fall feasts since they relate to Christ's second coming.

There is so much I could write about Passover, but I'm going to let you do more research if you are interested. I can give you some resources that I've found but I want to get on to the other Feasts as well. I could probably continue to write about Passover for quite some time if I let myself.

Today, I'm going to share with you the meaning of the four cups of wine from the Passover meal.

The First Cup - This cup is poured by the father who asks everyone to rise. He then raises the cup to heaven and recites the prayer of sanctification (Kiddush). This sets the day apart to God.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, King of the universe, Who createst the fruit
of the vine. Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, Who hast chosen us for Thy
service from among the nations . . . Blessed are Thou, O Lord our God, King of
the universe, Who hast kept us in life, Who hast preserved us, and hast enabled
us to reach this season.

Jesus said the Kiddush as the leader of the Seder service in the Upper Room.
"Then He took the cup, and gave thanks." Luke 22:17

The Second Cup - The second cup is poured and in response to four questions a lengthy narrative of the Passover story is shared beginning with Abraham in Ur. As the ten plagues are described a tiny bit of wine is poured out for each plague to represent the sorrow felt for the Egyptian's suffering. Once the first half of the praise psalms (Hallel) is recited the second cup is taken.

The Third Cup - This is called the Cup of Redemption. It is at this point that Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper as we know it as a reminder of His redemptive work on the cross. Since Passover is closely associated with the hope of the coming of the Messiah, a child is sent to the front door after the third cup to welcome in the prophet Elijah. It is believed based on scripture that he would appear, drink the cup and announce the Messiah.

"I will send you Elijah the prophet Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord." (Mal. 4:5)

The Fourth Cup - Known as the Cup of Acceptance or Praise. This is the cup that Jesus said He would not drink until He drank it with His disciples in the Kingdom. Jesus realized His time of acceptance by the Jews was still yet in the future.

As I said above there is so much more to this celebration and meal which I encourage everyone to look into further. At this time though I'll be moving on the the next Feast of the Lord, the Feast of Unleavened Bread after I post regarding the fulfillment of Passover by Jesus, the Messiah.

Here is a site I've found with alot of information about the Passover celebration

Judaism 101 - Pesach: Passover

No comments: