Monday, October 05, 2009

God's Transformation Process - Part 1

Below is my first post for the 30 Days: The Mind of Christ experiment at SUM.  Visit the SUM site to join the journey and read what Lynn and Dineen are sharing too!

* * * * * * * * * *

When Lynn first asked me to join her and Dineen for this 30 Day journey, my mind was filled with so many different things I could write about, things I’ve learned over the last couple years about having a mind and heart after Christ. Then as I began to meditate on these things I realized how very much I have yet to learn. In fact, this process of sharing my heart with all of you is just a continuation of my journey to put Christ on the throne of my life.

My journey began in earnest two years ago when I stumbled across this site and read a post about “the most dangerous prayer”. I prayed that night with a sincere heart. “Whatever it takes, Lord. Whatever it takes draw my husband to you.” The Lord heard my cry and responded, but not in the way I had anticipated.

You see, the Lord knew the best way to draw my beloved husband to Him was to use his wife to show him the love of Christ. And I can’t demonstrate the love of Christ if I am not of one mind and heart with Him.

The first step in my transformation process is what I want to share with you today. To have the mind of Christ, the heart of Christ, we must first love Him with all our heart. As my 5 year old son says “Love God with all my heart, that’s why He made me.” However, in order to do this, we must first begin to grasp the love He has for us, because without His love we would not be able to love Him.

We love Him because He first loved us. ~ 1 John 4:19
One of the first things we are told as a Christian is about how much God loves us, but do you really understand what that means? Has it truly sunk deep into your heart and taken root?

I had thought I understood how much God loved me, but it wasn’t until as couple months after my infamous prayer that I finally began to understand the great love of our God. I began a study on the Song of Solomon which finally hit home with me. I realized even though I said I knew God loved me, I only felt comfortable kneeling before Him when I thought I was being “good”. There was still a part of me deep down that was trying to earn His love. His love can’t be earned, but that is okay because we already possess it. We just need to realize that fact.

It may seem weird that at the beginning of a journey to make Christ our focus instead of ourselves, I would ask you to focus on how much YOU are loved. However I believe it is essential to being able to love Christ with all your heart. We can’t put him on the throne of our life if we don’t love Him wholeheartedly.

Psalm 18:19 says “He brought me into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me”.

God delights in you and wants to rescue you from whatever is consuming your focus in life right now. He knows that the only thing worth focusing on is Him and when we are able to do so the problems of this life fade. They don’t go away, but our perspective on them changes. We begin to see God’s reality instead of the world’s reality.

I ask each of you as we begin this journey to do some deep soul-searching and ask yourself this question. Do you really know how much the Lord loves you? Not because of who or what you are, but because of who He is. Meditate on 1 John 4:19. Ask God to reveal to you what this means, then be still and listen for His voice to answer you.

Click here for a link to the David Crowder Band page. There you can listen to the song, “How He Loves Us." I encourage you to find a quiet place to settle yourselves and listen to this song. Close your eyes, turn up the volume and let the words of this song wash over you and sink deep. He IS jealous for you and your love, you are His Beloved!

No comments: