Thursday, June 01, 2006

Our Strength

I'm reading a series right now that fictionalizes the life and reign of King Hezekiah of Judah. It is very true to scripture and very good. While reading the second book in the series (Song of Redemption) there were a couple of lines that really resonated with me. So much so, that they stopped me in my tracks (and that is hard to do when I'm reading a really good book, which this is!). I had to stop to think about these for a moment.

Here they are to provoke your thoughts as well.

1. The Lord does not give you strength, He is your strength!

Never really thought about the difference until I read this!

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. (Psalm 28:7)

(Also found in Ex 15:2, Psalm 118:14, Isaiah 12:2, as well as many others)

2. "But when we only believe in things we can see with our eyes and touch with our hands, it is idolatry."

(pg. 326, Song of Redemption by Lynn Austin, Chronicles of the Kings series)

Another one that made me stop and rethink things a bit!

No comments: