Saturday, May 24, 2008

Seek the Lord Sunday - Psalm 27

I have made a new online friend at Call Her Blessed. She had mentioned a weekly meme that she does called Seek the Lord Sunday. This week's subject is Which Bible verse 'speaks' to you lately?

For me right now I would say it is Psalm 27, specifically verses 4-5

One thing I ask of the Lord,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to seek Him in His temple,
For in the day of trouble
He will keep me safe in His dwelling;
He will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

I've recently started listening to a session from RHOP by Diane Parnell called The Gift of God. ("started" because I've only listened to the first half so far. There are to be two more sessions in the coming week that go along with this one). She speaks in it about how God wants to enounter us and has made us to be His dwelling place. She speaks of us seeking after the Lord's heart and character.

The verses above show us three keys for encountering God's heart.

A - Abiding: dwelling with the Father's Glory to discover who he is
that I may dwell in the House of the Lord

B - Behold: gazing on God's beauty, who He is, His character
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord

C - Commune: commune with the Holy Spirit, to encounter Him in an active way
to seek Him in His temple

I have been meditating on these verses the past few days. As part of that I've been reading the entire chapter. As I've done so I noticed how many worship songs we sing are written based on verses from this chapter. This is an amazing chapter.

I'm realizing that as I seek after the Lord and His wisdom, it is not head knowledge I'm seeking. It is an intimate knowledge of the Lord that I am pursuing. And I want to do it to know Him better, not for something for myself. Where my heart is not right in this pursuit I ask that He will transform it and mold it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. head knowledge is not always a bad thing-it depends on why we ant it and the way we use it. If we lord it over others, bad. And it can be hard sometimes not to do that.

Amanda said...

Sometimes I think I'm not a "good enough" Christian because I don't know my bible as well as I think I should. I forget that what I really need to do is cultivate my relationship with the Lord and then do the same with the relationships around me.

Thank you for this post - wonderfully written! :)