Wednesday, September 17, 2008

When Christians Come Out of the Closet - External Article

I was sent this article today which I thought was really good. It addresses how I've been feeling about this situation for quite some time so I wanted to share it. Please click the read more below to see the entire article.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
When Christians Come Out of the Closet

Singer Ray Boltz’s shocking announcement that he’s gay offers us a chance to adjust our attitudes.

How should we respond when a fellow Christian embraces a gay lifestyle? Do we give him a hug and tell him we wholeheartedly respect his decision? Do we just keep quiet and pray? Or do we grab a Bible and offer a stern lecture?

I know it’s an uncomfortable subject, but I’m delving into it because recording artist Ray Boltz has come out of the closet. The 55-year-old singer, winner of three Dove Awards from the Gospel Music Association, told the world last Friday that he just got tired of fighting his same-sex feelings. He told the Washington Blade, a gay magazine, that he now lives “a normal gay life” and feels liberated.

I am sure the gay community rejoiced that Boltz has joined their side of this debate. Now they are waiting to see our response. Many of them expect Christians to yank Boltz’s music off the radio, stage bonfires with his CDs and send cryptic death threats. (Hint: None of these is the right reaction.)

Best known for a string of Christian hits in the 1990s including “Thank You” and “I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb,” Boltz told the Blade that he disclosed his repressed homosexuality to his wife and four grown children in 2004, the year he retired from his music career. He quietly moved to South Florida and began dating. His divorce from his wife of 33 years was finalized this year.
His confession was brutally honest: “I’d denied [my homosexuality] ever since I was a kid. I became a Christian. I thought ...
Read More

No comments: