Sunday, November 23, 2008

Poured into Vessels

I may have mentioned recently, but I'm on a Ted Dekker kick right now. God has given him an amazing talent to write books that are fast paced and keep your interest, but that also communicate a message. All of his stories are unique, but they all have the same underlying theme. The unconditional love of God and how we are to stand for God's Truth while showing this same love to others.

Here is an excerpt from the book I recently finished, Thunder of Heaven, which really spoke to me. The scene is in a mission in Venezula between a young woman and a priest.

She shook her head. "I don't feel very spiritual, Father."

"And if you felt very spiritual, my dear, I might worry for you. It's not your duty to feel predisposed to any clear message. Think of yourself as a vessel. A cup. Don't try to guess what the Master will pour into you before he pours. Only pray it is the Master who pours. Then be willing to accept whatever message he wishes to fill you with. It's his to fill, Sherry. You only receive."

I had never thought of it that way before. I tend to like to plan things out so this way of thinking requires a lot of giving up control (which I really don't have anyway!) and a lot of faith and trust on my part. This is something I'm going to think about and pray about in the coming days. I believe this is what God asks of us. The question is - am I willing? Are you?

No comments: