Saturday, November 25, 2006

Turn

I just started reading another book called Turn by Max Lucado. As with all of his writing, this book is amazing. He has a way of getting your attention and making you think about things in new ways you've never considered before.

This book is about turning back to God in our personal lives and as a country. Now I know this is a touchy subject with some, but it has been coming up a lot for me lately. I am thankful I live in the USA and am extremely grateful for the troops who have put their lives on hold in order to protect this country. However, I would be remiss to believe that we are a country following in God's footsteps right now.

This book is written around one scripture, 2 Chronicles 7:14


If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and forgive thier sins and will heal their land.

He disects this verse into four different parts, four different things God wants from us to heal us and our land. He relates these to us turning to God not only as a country, but in our personal lives. Let's face it, we can't turn to God as a counrty to be healed if we have not turned back to Him in our personal lives!

Here is a brief peek at the introduction of this book. After this there are four sections, one for each turning point Lucado talks about. For those of you who don't have a fondness for reading I would suggest this book still. It is a quick read and really not very long. It is very thought provoking though and may have you on your knees praying for yourself and your country. We could always use more of that!!!

1. "Called by my name" - To turn from self-promotion to God-promotion, Turn to God's Glory

2. "Humble themselves and pray" - To turn from self-reliance to God-dependence, Turn to God in prayer

3. "Seek my face" - To turn from self-direction to God-direction, Turn toward God's Word

4. "Turn from their wicked ways" - To turn from self-service to repentence, Turn toward God in repentence

Each of the four items above (last phrase) are the four parts in the book. Lucado ends the introduction with. . .

"God offers to heal our land. He tells us what to do. He's done His part. Now, it's up to us. It's our TURN. "

For excerpts please visit my website. I'll add more as I finish the book.

No comments: