Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Teaching through Scripture

Once again the Lord is using my children to speak to me. I was reading my book again today (Creative Correction) and at the end of the chapter there is a 'Toolbox'. This chapter's 'toolbox' includes scripture you can teach your children in order for them to understand what God (and you) expect of them and why we should do certain things. They are divided up by subject.

As I started reading these, ready to make mental notes of which ones I'm going to add to my children's memory verse lists, I was immediately convicted by the Lord. How can I expect to teach these things to my children if I do not model them myself? Where I tend to have the most problems with these particular ones is not a place where my children usually see me, however it is convicting.

Here are some of them that I'll be meditating on and memorizing myself in the next few days. The subjects these were listed under were Aggravating/Stirring up Strife, Anger, and Arguing.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins

James 1:19-20
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

Ephesians 4:26-27
In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.


Notice the italics above added by me. I've heard and known this scripture for years, but this last part I've seemed to gloss over in the past. Tonight it jumped out at me. Our refusal to let go of our anger gives the devil a foothold into our lives and gives him control.

2 Timothy 2:23-24
Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguements, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.


So as I try to learn to deal with my children in a more godly way and raise them up in the ways of the Lord, the Lord Himself is raising me up in His Ways.

No comments: