Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ted Haggard

There has been a lot in the news lately regarding Ted Haggard. Personally, I have mixed feelings regarding this. Obviously he was portraying one image to the world and was a leader in the Body which according to the Bible sets him to a higher standard. One the other hand he is human and not perfect. Any of us could fall into sin if we continue to harbor sinful thoughts. Thoughts lead to action and we continously need to be on guard and asking the Lord to help us put these aside. I'll be the first to admit I'm not always successful at this. He is definitely a hypocrite, but I can't say that I'm not at times. He just happens to be in the spotlight more than I am.

I do think he should be held to a higher standard as a leader (as I mentioned above, the Bible states this too!) however if he is truely repentent I believe as a church body we need to help him. He is going to be going through some really rough times in his life right now and his family will be as well. I'm by no means making excuses for his behavoir, it is horrid. However, we have to strike a balance as God does between our hatred for the man's sin and the mercy and love of our heavenly Father.

Here are some articles/blogs that I've been reading which have some good points to think about regarding this scandal.

Mike's Noise - Weekend Reading: Ted Haggard Roundup

First Things - On the Square - Observations & Contentions

Reformation 21 - Just like Ted Haggard?

Think Christian - We Never Just Fall

No comments: