Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Day of Silence

Okay, for those of you who are concerned with being "PC" you may be offended, so I advise not to read further without being forewarned.

What is the deal with being PC anyway? We are so concerned with hurting someone's feelings that we are not honest any longer. We can be honest in love, you know. In fact that is what God commands of us. We are to be honest and uphold His principles, but do it in a loving way. However, nowadays even when you are honest in a loving way you can be called a bigot. Just because you do not see eye to eye with someone. I'm tired of being told I should be tolerant by those who say they are so tolerant but are only so with those who agree with them! This whole PC idea is harming our country and our children. We can't fail a child because it might hurt their self-esteem. What happened to teaching our children to work their hardest and do their best?

But I digress. Today while getting ready for work it was announced on the local news channel that today was a Day of Silence in support of the gay movement. I've looked at a couple sites regarding this, one which gives the history of the day. It states this day was set up to protest the silencing of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trangenders due to discrimination. I can't say I've been noting silence from that camp lately.

I have absolutely no problem with the fact that EVERYONE deserves to be treated with respect. However, treating someone with respect means they can have opinions of their own. I have friends who live this lifestyle, however that does not mean I need to support or agree with their lifestyle. I believe it is against God's commandments and I'm not ashamed to say so. I should not be called names because of my opinion. Why is it okay for others to voice thier beliefs and say everyone must be tolerant, but this does not apply to Christians who want to express their beliefs?

There is a big difference between protecting those with different beliefs from physical harm and discrimination and forcing others to buy into those beliefs. I will speak of my beliefs and why I believe what I do, but I know it is your choice as to whether you agree with me or not. I would like the same respect. You may not agree with me, but don't require me to buy into what you believe.

I think one of the major problems with this country lately is the idea that we should all be tolerant, however it is applied so very selectively. America's idea of tolerant is very ironic. I find it ironic that we have a National Day of Silence, however nobody seems to care that this crusade against discrimination has turned into a silencing of anyone who believes differently from what they believe.

No comments: